Articles About Anita Photos Links
Ask Anita Newsletter Bulletin Board Home Page

Ask Anita

Driving Across America

Dear Anita,

I have heard that it is possible to deliver a car for someone by driving it across the U.S. This sounds like a fun way to see America. How do I find out more about this?

Ian Clarke
London, England

Dear Ian,

Driving across America is one of the best ways to become acquainted with the land and the people. Yes, there are companies that specialize in matching drivers to cars that need to be transported -- this is commonly referred to as 'driveaways'. One highly recommended company specializing in this is Auto Drive Away Company based out of Chicago. Visit their website and you can research and register your interests along with preferred dates and locations. It's important to note that you must be at least 21 years of age and hold a valid driver's license. Since you are coming to the states from a foreign country, you will need an International driver's license. 'Driveaways' are an economical way to see the countryside as all you pay is a bond fee of several hundred dollars (refunded to you when you deliver the car) along with the cost of fuel. Nevertheless, there are some downsides to these types of excursions:

  • You will need to be flexible as the company will give you a limited time to deliver the car and in many cases will limit your mileage.
  • You are expected to cover approx 200-300 miles daily. So, it's a good idea to bring a driving companion.
  • For insurance purposes, the driving route is pre-determined, which means traveling mostly by Interstate highways, this may clash with your sightseeing plans.
I hope I've been helpful. Good luck and drive safe!!

Anita Dunham-Potter

Back to archive index



Copyright 1995-2007 JetNet Media, Inc. All rights reserved.
For more information, click here to send us an e-mail.

Site design by OnTV Design